Saturday, September 17, 2005

First Meeting

Thank you everyone for coming to the first IAG meeting this year. I really enjoyed talking to many of you after the club. You guys asked many good questions and I really hope that I had answered them all to your satisfaction.

I'm very glad to know that many of the things Krish and I mentioned were not too complicated to you. As you know, IAG is a club that stresses the importance of investment competence and knowledge when it comes to making bets on the market. But again, if there is ever anything you guys don't understand, please feel free to ask any questions--we will answer them to the best of our abilities.

I hope that when we went over the companies we currently have in our portfolio, we were not overly brief in our speeches. If any of you are interested in finding about them further, please visit the IAG message forum. Krish and I have our trades posted and our reasons behind the trades. We generally don't hand out our excel valuations to the public, but if any of you want to look at valuations in depth, we would be more than happy to send them to you in .pdf format.

--

Since Krish started his book recommendations, I figure I should try and do the same. Reading books greatly increases the breadth of your knowledge, and I strongly suggest the following to get ahead in your investment careers:

- Bull's Eye Investing - John Mauldin
- The Alchemy of Finance - George Soros
- When Genius Failed, Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management - Roger Lowenstein
- You Can Be A Stock Market Genius - Joel Greenblat
- Security Analysis - Ben Graham & David Dodd
- Investment Valuation - Aswarth Damodaran (Free on his website :))
- Fooled by Randomness - Nicholas Nassir (sp) Taleb
- The Bull Hunter - Dan Denning

Also, some really great investment newsletters you should subscribe to:

The Daily Pfennig
John Mauldin's Weekly Newsletter
The Daily Reckoning
The Rude Awakening

--

By the way, I'm still trying to find someone fluent in Korean to help me read KEP news announcements, so if you are interested, please leave me a comment. The whole thing probably won't take more than 10 min (we will go on bloomberg, and then look at the Korean language articles together) :D

No comments: